Motels are a hotspot for trafficking. We believe that motel staff are in a unique position of recognizing exploitation, and intervening to get victims help. Rescue Her wants to equip motel staff nation-wide with the knowledge and resources they need to recognize and report instances of trafficking.
Potential Trafficking Indicators to Look For:
- An underage girl requests a room
- Victim has limited access to her phone/ID/money
- Victim is with an older, controlling boyfriend or person who isn’t related
- Branding tattoo on victim (a name, a crown, the word “daddy”)
- Victim won’t make eye contact
- Minors/young women left alone in a room for long periods of time
- Many men enter and leave a specific room, staying for only 30 minutes
- Men waiting outside of a room or appearing to monitor the area
- Rooms rented that have fewer beds than guests
- A guest pays for the room in cash or a pre-paid credit card
- A guest pays for a room by the night or hour
ALL CHILDREN UNDER 18 WHO ARE SOLD FOR SEX ARE CONSIDERED VICTIMS OF TRAFFICKING. There is no such thing as a child prostitute
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
If you see any of the above indicators at your motel, please take action! Many victims will not self-report because of fear, distrust of authority, or because they don’t identify as a victim.
STAY SAFE | do not put yourself or the victim in danger
CONTACT A HOTLINE | if you are in the DFW area, contact our hotline at 817-891-2093. If you are outside the DFW area, contact the national human trafficking hotline at 1- 888-3737-888 .
CALL 911 | In case of emergency, call immediately BEFORE calling a hotline.
Want to learn more?
We would love talk to you about how you and your motel staff can be better prepared t recognize and report signs of trafficking. Our full Motel/Hotel Staff Training includes much more information that will equip your staff to recognize and report trafficking. We also have various resources we'd like to give you such as motel soap labeled with the National Human Trafficking Hotline number, hotline cards, and training in multiple languages depending on your staff's needs.