One of the biggest needs of each survivor we work with is a positive, strong community to offer them support and encouragement. In addition to support and case management from our staff Advocates, we pair each Brave One with a long-term volunteer mentor. We have Volunteer Mentorship opportunities open up twice a year.
Qualifications of a Volunteer Mentor:
- Be female
- Be 23 or older
- Be actively involved in a church
- Have a calm temperament, the ability to put people at ease, be a conversationalist, and be comfortable with taking the initiative in building relationships
- Have your own car, and be willing to provide transportation for your Brave One
Steps to becoming a Volunteer Mentor:
- Fill out a volunteer application at www.rescueher.org/volunteer. To speed up the process, email firstname.lastname@example.org that you are interested in becoming a volunteer mentor.
- Attend our General Volunteer Orientation Thursday, June 27th from 7-8:30 PM at New Life Family Church.
- Complete an interview with a Rescue Her staff member
- Interviews will be approximately an hour in length. Dates TBD.
- If you are approved following your interview, you must attend a MANDATORY mentor training. Date TBD.
- After the mandatory training, you will meet once more with a Rescue Her staff to be assigned your Brave One.
Volunteer Mentor commitments:
- Commit to the mentorship program for the remainder of 2019
- Attend our weekly Empower support group with your Brave One every Monday from 7-8:30 PM
- Provide transportation for your Brave One to and from this weekly support group
- Have at least one point of contact with your Brave One a week (phone call, text messages, or in person meeting)
- Cover any minor expenses associated with mentoring your Brave One, such as gas, cost of any optional activities you choose to do with your mentees
- Limited financial assistance will be provided by Rescue Her. Details will be discussed during training and interview
- Log all meetings/interactions with your Brave One, and report to RH staff advocate weekly (does not need to be in-person)